Friday, December 3, 2021

Semroc Point, KV-58 Build, Part 2, Parts Prep




Never just punch out laser cut balsa fins! Note the darker grain stripes in the left side picture. 
Turning over the sheet - you can see the laser cut didn't go through the denser areas of the wood.
I had to use my knife to free up the corners. If I had tried to crack the fins off the sheet, the rear root edge tips would have cracked off. 


I always square up the fin edges being sure the root edge is flat. Fins will glue straighter on the body tube if there is a flat root edge.

The laser cutting beam gets diffused as it goes through the balsa sheet. One side has a wider cut than the other. 







I wouldn't attempt to roll the large shroud with the soft turn in the printed card stock page.

Set the two sheets in a heavy book and let it sit for a few days to flatten the sheet.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment