Saturday, December 11, 2021

Semroc Point, KV-58 Build, Part 9, Fitting the Shroud?


With the inside taped down, the outside edge of the shroud is still open.
I set a small drop of white glue on my knife. 
Work the glue as a thin film covering all the glue tab from top to bottom.

Close the end and burnish to set the tab.

Here's when I realized something was wrong.

On the left - 
This is as far as the internal engine/fin assembly would go, up inside the shroud.

On the right - 
You can see light at the top of the outside fin edges. Fin contact with the shroud is only at the bottom.  
I figured I could fix it by sanding down the low end of the fins. I don't remember doing any adjustments like this on my two previous Point builds.

This is where I stopped the build -
I guess I could have finished it, but the trimmed bottom support ring was so short the shock cord tie point was removed to get it to fit. I was concerned about the strength of the cone. 

I wrote to Semroc and explained the problems.
The email responses are in the next post.

Why do build posts on a kit that wasn't finished?
Hopefully there are some ideas shown that might help on a different design.

No comments:

Post a Comment