Monday, December 6, 2021

Semroc Point, KV-58 Build, Part 4, Tube Punches?



Something about the kit supplied ST-7 tube didn't seem right. On the left is my old Point. Notice where the hole punches are.

They should be very close to the top of the tube. Otherwise, the hot ejection gases would scorch the inside of the shroud.
This wasn't a problem, I still have some ST-7 tubing in the rocket room.

I marked the two opposite hole locations.
Don't just punch holes - 
Initially, use light pressure to make a slight impression in the tube. Remove the punch tool and check to see if the circle impression is centered.

Make any positioning adjustments, then fully punch the two holes.

My assumption was right - these holes would need be positioned higher up above the edge of the shroud.

Understand, I'm not coming down on Semroc. I produce kits and make mistakes. One small run of Break-Away kits was missing fins! I once ordered 2,000 Raise Springs - all were unusable! Stuff happens. 
There is a good outcome in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment