Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Odd'l Rockets F-18 Hornet Development & Build, Part 1, Background

Centuri introduced three Fighter Fleet kits in their second 1976 catalog. 
The F-4 Phantom, F-15 Eagle and F-16 Fighter.
To see them: CLICK HERE

I had already produced the Odd'l Rockets F-16 and F-104 Starfighter kits. I wanted to make them  closer to the lines of the real jets and keep them stable.

There are compromises when designing a stable sport rendition of a Fighter Jet. 
My goal was to make a good representation using existing tubes, nose cones and balsa.

I go through a LOT of photos.
If I'm lucky, I'll come across an accurate line drawing like this one shown on the left.

Portions of this drawing was enlarged, wing and stabilizer shapes were directly traced. 

If you see the Centuri F-104 Starfighter model side by side with the Odd'l version you would see some differences. The Odd'l Fighter Jets are designed to look more accurate. These new kits are more of a build challenge.


I chose this model for the F-18 paint and decal pattern.
I would have loved to do the Blue Angels version, but licensing fees would set the kit price out of reach.

Test model development and the kit build start tomorrow.

11 comments:

  1. There's always the option for the customer to use aftermarket decals -- I'd estimate that decals meant for 1;48 scale aircraft will come out to be around the right size. One word of caution is that since the relative size, shape and contours of a model rocket probably varies significantly from the actual aircraft, some markings would likely require modification.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naoto,
      Some available scale aircraft decals did cross my mind. There are Blue Angels decals out there. But for kit production, I had to keep the price down.

      Delete
    2. I was just pointing out an option available for anybody who might want something other than the "stock" configuration you get with a kit.

      Delete
    3. It's probably not a surprise you went with a scheme loosely based on VFA-103 "Jolly Rogers" -- visually striking and probably one of the first images that pop into mind when someone says "U.S. Navy aircraft". Not surprising that the scheme is frequently imitated. The 1980s anime Macross has fighter planes (that transform into robots) that sport a scheme that is loosely based on the "Jolly Rogers" scheme.

      Delete
    4. Hi Naoto,
      The Jolly Roger scheme was the best look and made for easier decal placement.

      Delete
    5. Was just going to say but Naoto beat me to it, I remember very well the Robotech F14-lookalike toy w/ the Jolly Roger paint scheme that I had as a kid in the 80s.

      Delete
  2. One product that I'll have to give a rry are the "body skin" stuff from Woodland Scenics (meant for Pinewood Derby cars).
    https://youtu.be/yvabT1zf5zQ
    as indicated near the end of the video, you're not limited to using this as "wallpaper" type marking that covers the entire model -- you could use it to create "accent" markings. Perhaps not applicable for model rockets that look like aeroplanes, it might be something that could be tried in decorating your model rockets in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naoto,
      Pinewood Derby Cars have come a long way! Those skins would be great for accent pieces.

      Delete
    2. I do find it amusing that I'd make a suggestion of using accessories made for Pinewood Derby cars in model rockets. Back in the 1970s, I remember it those lead weights that Estes used to sell came in handy to bring up the Pinewood Derby cars up to the 5oz weight allowed by regulation (tire weights could work, but their odd shape made them less convenient as the Estes weights). Nowadays the weights for Pinewood Derby cars are either steel or tungsten (upside is that tungsten is denser than lead -- downside is that tungsten is a very hard material -- not so easy to cut).

      Delete
  3. The Jolly Roger is way cooler (bada$$) than Blue Angels. Just my opinon, of course. I like what you have here.

    ReplyDelete