Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Original Estes Mars Snooper



Here's the first catalog appearance of the Mars Snooper from the 1966 Estes catalog. To see this page - CLICK HERE
The kit was first 
available in 1965. 
Launch it with a 1/2A engine? I don't think so - 






Inspiration for the design first appeared in an ad advertisement for American Bosch Arma Corporation, 1959. Art by Frank Tinsley.
"Mars Snooper. Mars can be seen in the background as a reconnaissance craft prepares to land on the surface of red planet's moon, Deimos." 






The Snooper kit design goes back to 1964.
It was originally a Estes "Rocket Plan #25.
To see the plans, CLICK HERE

Check out the fin pods, back then made by shaping balsa.
The three part shroud assembly is different, the low shroud is shorter in length.

The smaller upper fins have changed over the years - sometimes rounded off, other times with squared corners.

2 comments:

  1. It's refreshing to see build plans that are clear. The instructions of current kits are sometimes vague and leave me wondering if I'm building correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was weird. I was surfing the net and geeking out about the Super Mars Snooper, when I realized I hadn't checked you site for a few days. I show up and, WHAM! More Snooper!

    I never built the original, but the Super Snooper has drawn my attention. I was musing that so many people go with the stock blue/white paint job, but it'd be interesting to see the design with more creative color variations.

    ReplyDelete