Friday, January 20, 2012

Delta IV Night Launch January 19, 2012

There's some great advantages living in Central Florida.
Last night I was able to walk out my front door and watch the first launch of 2012, the Delta IV from Cape Canaveral, a little over 50 miles away.

Night launches are always spectacular. Depending on the flight trajectory, you can watch the fireball arc across the sky for several minutes. Last night was very clear.
Off the back I thought I was seeing sparks until I realized these were the four SRMs. You could see their tumbling path as they fell.

From the Space.com article HERE
"Flown only once before, this version of the Delta is distinguished by a five-meter payload shroud and four solid rocket boosters. Many other Medium+ rockets have launched over the years with the smaller four-meter nose cone and only two solid motors."
Delta 4 in a configuration known as the Medium+ (5,4)

No comments:

Post a Comment