Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Old Red Max Clone



This was the first model I built when I got back into Rocketry, a clone of the Estes Der Red Max. Estes was a few years away from the re-release.
I did a little research online then ordered parts from ASP and decals from Tango Papa.




At the time, I thought I did a pretty good job of filling the balsa grain. I used sanding sealer, this was before I switched to the new thinned down Fill N' Finish.

Those tube seams are pretty evident, too.
What? We didn't fill the tube seams in the late 1960s and 1970s!
Lots of orange peel in a poorly sprayed orange finish.

I've seen a few newer Red Max models and knew there was something wrong with mine. The nose cone is short!

That white nose cone came from a new Super Alpha bought on Ebay. I thought I was bidding on a balsa cone kit.
I read where that white cone is the same as the Red Max cone.
So for now, I'll switch out the cone and might sand down the smaller balsa cone to the correct profile for the Super Alpha kit.

It's a start until - I strip the old Max finish, fill the seams, thicken up the fillets, repaint and add new decals - Whew!

6 comments:

  1. The Der Red Max is a great rocket :) I recently built the Micromaxx version by Leading Edge Rocketry. Made my own decals! http://www.flickr.com/photos/oflittleinterest/6603790375

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sascha,
      I went to the link and checked out the Micro Red Max. I've never seen one of the Leading Edge Models finished before. I know they don't include the decals, the Red Max really needs them to be a Red Max. Great Work!
      The Micro Red Max I built was a Greg Poehlein downscale:
      http://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=6398&highlight=downscale+of+some+classics&page=3
      Go to post 47 for the PDF. It's a BT-5 sized, a little larger than yours.
      All the decal decor is there, printed on the body wrap and fins. It is missing the white nose cone decal though.
      Thanks for sharing your build!

      Delete
  2. I am very curious to see how you can strip and refinish this rocket. I too have a Red Max clone (and it was also one of the first rockets I built as a BAR) that desperately needs refinishing.

    Also, smart move on switching cones with the Super Alpha. I did the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lonnie,
      I should carlify, I don't strip it down to the bare tube and balsa. Just a good sanding, then re-primed to fill the seams.
      On my Centurion re-build, I did go back and do epoxy fillets and bought a new decal.
      Hope to see you this Saturday at the Tampa TTRA.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the clarification, and yeah, I've learned the hard way about stripping to the tube. Not pretty.

    P.S. Hopefully I'll have Angry Bird 2.0 ready by Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You used to use Aerogloss sealer? Did you apply the sealer before or after attaching the fins to the body tube? How many coats or how did you apply it for best results? I love Aerogloss sealer.

    ReplyDelete