Thursday, January 26, 2012

Rustoleum 2X Gloss White Paint Problems!



There's a lively debate of TRF about how the builder is being blamed for paint results like this:
This is my Estes Mini Honest John on October 16, 2011.
The Rustoleum 2X Gloss White paint came out in spatters, very rough and a flat finish.






And the upper end of my Mars Lander dated December 17, 2011. It's a pebbled flat finish mess but gloss from the adapter to the larger lower half of the upper fins.



Here's a new can of Rustoleum 2X Gloss White on the Scavenger build from yesterday.
From the forward fins back is the rough, flat finish again.

This seems to be a big problem with the Gloss White paint.
The pictures show three different cans of paint purchased over three months time!
I've returned the latest bad can to Home Depot. The lady in the returns department told me she has had other returns of the Gloss White Rustoleum.

An email was sent to Rustoleum, I'm waiting for a response.

The other Rustoleum 2X colors aren't showing this problem - yet.
I had great results with the Rustloeum 2X paint over the past few years, until now.
Three strikes, they're out!

2 comments:

  1. I have been having problems too with the bottom coats lifting/checking with sail blue and gloss white. Spraying over dried paint is impossible as the wet paint lifts the old seemingly no matter what I try or how long I wait.

    I normally spray 2 light coats and shoot for 100% coverage on the second coat, then a 3rd wet coat usually does it. I normally apply all 3 coats in about @30 minutes, letting the initial coats dry longer seems to worsen the problem.

    I definitely have more problems with the 2x coverage paint than the previous versions of Rustoleum. I sorta miss turning the can upside down and cleaning the tip. Now I resort to removing the tip and spraying acetone through it in hopes it will work when I need it next.

    Cheers from Ohio!
    Speedweigand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Speed,
    Yeah, it's maddening! Right now the Rustoleum 2X cans I've been using are working well. There was a bad batch that had to be sold and cleared out of Home Depot.
    Maybe your technique of spraying over still "wet" paint is preventing the final coats from lifting. It makes sense that the 2nd and 3rd coats would stick better to a semi-wet coat.

    ReplyDelete