Friday, January 6, 2012

Launch! Schoolyard January 5, 2012

Florida finally got some cold weather this week.
I have a Orlando R.O.C.K. Section launch in two days, but sometimes get the itch to fly between club launches.


1/2A engines really get respectable altitudes in BT-5 models. I would guess the carded downscale ASTRO 1 reached 500' with the MPC 1/2A3-5m engine.
There was LOTS of old engine smoke in the delay so it was easy to track until ejection.
It drifted to the West and landed in the street. Parents were driving their kids to school and I expected to find it run over by a car.
It landed in the gutter out of traffic and had a slight bend in one fin.




The Custom NOMAD had a straight boost to 300' with an Estes B6-4 engine.
The garbage bag parachute opened without problem.
My rod angle was now correct, it drifted back to within 10' of the launcher.





Even though the blog build continues, the Quest TOMAHAWK is finished. It had it's first flight with a B6-4.
I'd let the "crispy" Quest parachute air out before launch. It was cold this morning and I did want it to open.
The Quest instructions say it'll reach 280' so I'll go with that!
Launch was vertical with a tight corkscrew during boost.
Good flight, but this draggy rocket is best suited for a C6-5.

Also flown:
My well-worn MMX SKY WRITER downscale. I had trouble getting this one to ignite. The igniter seemed fine and the batteries were fresh. After four adjustments, I switched out the igniter and it finally flew.
The small streamer did eject but didn't unfurl. One fin popped off on landing, an easy repair.

No comments:

Post a Comment