Friday, August 7, 2015

AVI Nike Tomahawk Build Finished


I wanted to build this model since seeing it in the AVI Astroport Catalog in the mid 1970s.
I don't know if this kit was ever produced. Obviously the MPC Tomahawk and Nike Smoke plastic fin cans were used. I pieced most of it together from a Quest order. The metric tubes (those made in the US) are very strong.
As shown in earlier blog posts, the adapter was made from card stock shrouds.

This one is tall! It is 30.85" from tip to tail.
While it could fly with a B6-2 or C6-3 with an adapter, the engine mount is a 24mm.
As the catalog copy says: "The parachute recovery system is packed into the Tomahawk section."

Every builder has one model that seems to be cursed!
This one was my problem model.








The decals had to be printed twice.
The first print of the "UNITED STATES" was too bold.





On the first try, I couldn't get the Tomahawk fin masks right! After it sat for two and a half years I succeeded with small half circle Scotch tape masks.

Originally I made screw decals to be wrapped around the upper end of the Tomahawk. They printed too light and looked translucent. I might try them again later.

I'm just glad it's finished.
Oh crap! I forgot the launch Lug. See, I told you it was cursed.

8 comments:

  1. Very impressive! Could you use a removable sleeve for the launch lug, similar to the fin unit on the Thor Agena? Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Thomas,
    Right now that's the plan! I don't want to fill, paint, scrape paint and glue on a lug. A removable lug would be closer for a scale display, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the forgotten launch lug is a "sign" that you shouldn't launch this one. :)

    Cursed or not, it looks fantastic. The masking job on the fins came out great, I would probably have been too timid to even try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      This one will fly. I made two at the same time, one will probably go on auction on Ebay. I'll have to check the G/G before flying.

      Delete
  4. I live in Illinois and AVI Astroport was in southern Wisconsin. They had a really wide range of motors available in their catalog, and as a young teen I couldn't afford to buy much from them. A friend of mine was a pilot and we flew to Mineral Point, WI where they were located on an unrelated trip. I was so excited to go to Mineral Point, only to find out that AVI had gone out of business. I don't hear many people talking about them too much, but they sure had an extensive catalog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      AVI did have a lot of engines to choose from. From what I understand many of the engines never went into production. Myke Bergenske doesn't get the credit he deserves. He and Mr. Estes were among the few to make the earliest engine making machines. The AVI machines went to FSI and finally ended up at Quest. I don't know who made the Cox machines.

      Delete
    2. The MPC/AVI motor making machines went to FSI and never left. QUest had it's own BP motor machines made for them. Cox had their own equipment which was very unique. One machine made pressed black powder pellets. A different machine took those pellets and pressed them into a paper motor casing. The Cox motor machines ended up in a scrapyard in Los Angeles and scrapped.

      Delete
    3. HI Bob,
      Thanks for the information. my response was from this build from six years ago. I thought I had the FSI information correct, I remember when they started producing 18mm motors. I didn't know about Quest having their own machines. I was going by some information that was related to me.

      Delete