Saturday, August 8, 2015

My Estes Transroc Experience


A question about the Estes Transroc was posted on YORF.
Here's one of the responses from Rocket 9005 that summed it up:

"The original transmitter was  100mW based on the 27MHz CB radio band. As a result the signal could be received an a standard CB radio or walkie talkie.  It was crystal controlled for one channel. The stock transmitter was a beeper that could be used for direction finding. There was a microphone option (which was a earphone) so you could hear what was happening on board, they also had a thermometer option and a photo cell that could be used to measure roll. It was available as a kit, or you could order it assembled for an additional charge. It used a square battery that I think was 6 volts, and was hard to find. I friend of mine built one was never able to get it to work."

I had one!
I bought the pre-assembled Transroc and the Midwest Walkie-Talkie to "hear" it.
The beeper just beeped. I never needed it to find the rocket.
I added the microphone kit. When that was launched you could hear the entire flight over the walkie talkie. The hiss of the engine during boost, a little wind noise during coast phase and the pop of the ejection charge.
I remember thinking: "Why bother, I can hear the same thing from the ground without the Transroc!"
I only flew the transmitter a few times.

You can see the Transroc Owner's Manual at JimZ's, CLICK HERE 

No comments:

Post a Comment