Thursday, August 6, 2015

What Kind Of Primer / Filler Do You Use?

In a recent comment Daniel asked:
"What kind of primer filler do you use?"

My response:
Hi Daniel,
I only use the Duplicolor Primer/Filler, available at auto supply stores.
The can label is now grey and black.
They have changed the label description again - it now says:
Duplicolor Automotive PRIMER Series, FILLER
Look for FP101 Grey Filler above the UPC label on the back.

It is worth the extra few dollars for this primer/filler. Some other brands are almost "rubbery" when you try to sand it down. The sandpaper really gets loaded up quick. This Duplicolor primer sands off like dust. It still loads up on 400 grit sandpaper but you can clean it off with a soft wire brush under running water.

I really had to look to find the right stuff. Duplicolor (like Rustoleum) has too many different cans of "the same thing".
Again, turn the can around and look for FP101.

4 comments:

  1. How long do you have to wait after spraying to sand? I've been pretty satisfied with Rustoleum's filler primer, but I do have to wait several hours, maybe a day, before I can sand without loading up the sandpaper too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rich,
      This Duplicolor Primer/Filler dries to the touch in five minutes and can be sanded in an hour after spraying.
      Try the Duplicolor, much easier and better than the Rusto Filler Primer.

      Delete
    2. I've used both, and I'm now a convert to the Duplicolor. I've had a lot of issues with the Rusto loading up the paper rather quickly, and even the paper leaving scratches as a result.

      Delete
  2. The duplicolor fp101 iis great. I also like the duplicolor true lacquer that is fast drying with no wait time between coats. It only comes in black and white, but it is great to work with. The black is deep and rich.

    ReplyDelete