Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Estes Yellow Jacket #2008 Carded Downscale, Part 1, Parts

On the last cruise I worked on a new carded downscale.
This time it's the Estes Yellow Jacket, Kit #2008, available from 1989 - 1998.
Originally a BT-50 based model, it had a great fin design and decals.

The downscale will be made around a BT-5 tube and uses 13mm engines. No painting except for the nose cone.

You'll need the Quark style long nose cone from the BT-5 plastic nose cone package, BT-5 tubing just over 7" long, 1/8" launch lug, some cereal box cardboard, engine block, Kevlar, elastic shock cord and a streamer.

The fin and body tube skins are available if you are a Patreon supporter. 
Email me at oddlrockets@bellsouth.net and request the Yellow Jacket PDF.
Print, glue and fly!


Here's the fins being cut out in my ship cabin. No white glue, a small straightedge and a glue stick.
The break-off blade knife was packed in my boots, not in my carry on luggage.




My cutting board is the back cover of the HAL Compass book.
The book is basically a sales tool for future cruises. They are replaced every year.
I wonder if the next cabin guest wonders about all the cut marks in the back cover.

2 comments:

  1. I stayed in a hotel at NSL in 2007 that made your basic Motel 6 look like a Hilton. Things weren't so bad if I got into my room before dark, kept the bathroom door closed to keep the constant smell of ancient urine out of the room, and didn't sleep on the three legged bed. Since I was stuck in the room every night after sundown, I used that time to build the Semroc VF-261 that I bought on the first day. The telephone stand doubled as my cutting board when necessary and I used the bathroom as a spray booth. The good news was that the paint fumes actually improved the smell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill,
      Over the years of travel I've stayed in too many Motel "2s",never had one that smelled that bad though.

      Delete