Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Post Flight Soot Cleaning - TIP


After a launch I'll clean off any dirt with a damp paper towel.

Inside the top end of the body tube, an accumulation of ejection soot can make tight fit of the nose cone.
The inside inch or so is wiped off with a dry paper towel. Don't use a wet wipe, the inside tube fibers can swell and break down.


The soot that covers the inside can actually protect the naked Kraft paper surfaces on future launches. I had a flyer tell me he cleans out all the ejection soot he can reach with a toothbrush.
Below the nose cone shoulder area, leave the soot where it is!
The soot layers could be why some models last for hundreds of flights.

When I cut apart my old Centurion I was surprised the bottom of the baffle was so thick with ejection soot. The bottom plate of the baffle wasn't burnt, it was as strong as when it was first assembled.
The Centurion had 15 flights on it before it was beyond repair and cut open.

No comments:

Post a Comment