Saturday, August 22, 2015

Estes Lynx, Kit #7233, Build Part 15, Fix the Paint

After the model sat for two months I decided to tackle it again.

The lightly roughed up rudder fin was masked again and shot with the Rusto Metallic Night Black.
This time I ran my knife blade tip down the tape edge lines, cutting the paint edge and preventing tears. Cutting down the mask line isn't usually necessary, I just wanted extra assurance that the paint wouldn't lift and tear again.




The tape lift was much better this time, but the mask on the right side of the rudder was higher than the left side.


I didn't want to sand and mask it again.
Instead, I sprayed a scrap piece of clear decal material with the metallic black paint to make a decal patch piece.

On the left you can see the cut patch before being slid to the right over the white/black color separation line.


Here's the patch in place.
Enlarge the picture and you can see the piece. The metallic paint camouflages the edges very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment