Friday, August 21, 2015

Estes Lynx, Kit #7233, Build Part 14, Paint - Whoops!


Here's the model, dry fitted before the white undercoats.

The rudder and canopy were carefully masked off.
The black color is a favorite, Rustoleum Black Night Metallic.
I've had great results with it in the past.

Maybe not this time!
This metallic paint isn't like other spray paints.
It didn't adhere well enough to the white paint underneath.The white underneath might have been a little too smooth for the paint to grab. When the tape was lifted the metallic black coat came up!
I lightly sanded down the paint ridges with some 400 grit.
I didn't want the torn edges to show through a repair coat. The metallic paint is pretty thin.

I was disappointed and set the model aside for about two months!
The build is continued in the next post, though.

5 comments:

  1. I've had the same problem with the Black Night Metallic paint on several builds in the past couple of months. It's been so bad that I've discontinued using the product and have switched to a Model Masters black metallic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill,
      Up until now it was a "go to" paint!
      It just didn't stick to the undercoat white. When I went back and roughed up the white it did stick. I'm just used to other paints that "meld" into the previous coats.

      Delete
    2. What grit did you rough it up with? I'm looking use the Cobalt Blue metallic over a white undercoat and would like to avoid the problem if possible.

      Delete
    3. Hi Neil,
      That's an old piece of 400 grit that had been reused a few times.
      I brush all the accumulated crud off loaded sandpaper with a soft wire brush. Clean it off under running water.
      The sandpaper I used here ends up finer than 400 grit, just enough to dull the surface. I only roughed up the area where the mask was going to be.

      Delete