Monday, August 13, 2018

NARAM 60 Saturday, August 11, Observations and the Long Drive Home


I learned a lot from the past week at the NARAM.

1. A week seems too long. A four or five day NARAM would have been about right.
    EDIT: As it turns out, the next NARAM will be only four days long.
2. Save a lot of money and skip the host hotel. Share a room, save even more.
3. Don't go to NARAM expecting to win! Go to have fun, hang out and launch rockets.
4. Listen, watch and learn. Competition has changed a lot since my last NAR competition in 1976.
5. Bid on the Estes "Mystery Box" at the Cannon auction. There's a lot in the box for a low bid price.
6. Drop the Pop-Lugs and Fly-Away Guides - think Piston Launchers. Two R&D reports found a 13mm piston out performs a 18mm piston. Pistons are now longer than they used to be.
7. If I ever enter Classic Model again, the rocket will have a white body or be built from an old kit with original decals. Add more pictures and info to the data package for judging.
8. The NARAM starts out with a bang - Saturday and Sunday is very busy with sport launches.  Things quiet down when the competition starts on Monday.

Would I return to next year's NARAM?
Not next year, maybe in a couple years. Like I mentioned, seven days launching rockets makes for a long, hot week. If the NARAM were closer to home I might go for a few days.
I am very glad I went to the Reunion last Saturday night. Overall this was a very well run meet.
The rocketry community is like no other. Great people, great times.

14 comments:

  1. Chris,

    Glad you had an successful, fun and exciting NARAM 60. Since you had the winning bid at the auction, will we see a blog build? I know it's a rough kit, but I think you can handle it. Please? Pleeeeaaaaaasssssseeeee?


    (I have an Altaira N-1 in my build pile). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BAR,
      We'll see! I have some other projects in line first. I know that Apogee has helped out Altaira with better resin molded parts. I may have to order those, my kit was #1 and some parts are pretty rough.

      Delete
  2. If the posts on FB are right, NARAM 61 is in Muncie Indiana next year so as of today I’m planning to make the three hour drive. Considering trying a competition event but definitely going to have my Dr. Zooch and Alway Saturn Vs with me for what I anticipate will be a Golden Anniversary Apollo 11 celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      I have a feeling there might be a few Saturn at the next NARAM. If you enter a competition, be sure to study up more than I did!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Chris. Glad you made it home safely. I was very pleased to finally meet you in person at the reunion. Wish there had been time to talk a bit longer. 5 hours wasn't enough to circulate and meet everyone there.
    I understand what you mean about competition these days. Those of us who haven't participated in contest flying since the 70s or 80s are pretty much outgunned by all the latest refinements. Anyway, happy to hear that you had a good time here in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed,
      Great to meet you too!
      Competition was an eye opener for me. I've learned you have to launch earlier in the day, larger bodied duration models and use piston launchers!

      Delete
  4. You'll have to edit your edit again - NARAM 61 is actually 8 days - July 27-Aug 3 2019. It's a relatively short drive for me so I'll head down for the weekend or so. Cheers! http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=17441

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark,
      While the entire event is eight days long,
      FAI USA team flyoffs Sunday the 28th through Tuesday the 30th. Four days.
      NARAM competition will begin Wednesday the 31st and run through Saturday August 3rd. Four days.

      Delete
  5. Chris, glad you had a great experience.

    I'm seriously considering attending NARAM 61. It would be a 8 1/2 hour drive for me (after I've crossed the ocean) which would be my limit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leo,
      I don't know if I will attend the next NARAM. I'm more of a sport flyer. What made this NARAM worthwhile was the reunion and hanging out with other like minds.

      Delete
    2. Chris,
      I plan to attend NEFAR on the 8th. If you are there then you can tell me all about your adventure :-)

      Delete
    3. Hi Leo,
      I'll do my best to attend the NEFAR launch on September 8! I'll fill you in on some NARAM stories.

      Delete
  6. NARAM-61 is 8 days long----The NARAM is largely vacant after the weekend events and even the photos you put up showed fewer attendees as the week went on.
    I am glad you made it back safely.
    Moving NARAM to Muncie, IN is a slight improvement. It is a small town several hours drive southeast from Chicago. Lodging is limited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Manuel,
      The NARAM competition is only four days, Wednesday the 31st through Saturday August 3rd. FAI USA team flyoffs are four days earlier.

      Delete