Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Semroc MMX Blue Bird Zero Build, Part 7, Paint and Decals




After the first white coat, there were still some rough areas especially around the fin fillets.


This is what I mentioned early on - Don't glue the body tubes together until after the upper section is painted blue.

This blue is a bit dark. I didn't want to buy another can of spray paint. Blue is rarely used to finish a model rocket. I used what I had.



The wrap decal was a little long. I hid the end match below a fin.









The decals are small!
I used a wet Q-tip to get the eagle decal into the crux of the root edges.


2 comments:

  1. I recently finished the Semroc full scale clone of the Blue Bird Zero. Like you, I chose my paint color in part based on what I had on hand. But I did contemplate a dark blue (which I also had) and a medium blue (which I didn't). I decided, given the black "Blue Bird Zero" decal, to go with a light blue. It's a different look from the Estes but the decal shows up much better than it would have otherwise, and in fact the Semroc illustration shows light blue. I'm pretty satisfied with how it came out, but will have to watch it carefully not to lose it in the sky! Wrote it up at https://richsrockets.wordpress.com/2018/07/15/building-the-semroc-blue-bird-zero-part-3/ .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rich,
      I wish I had a lighter blue color but I didn't want to buy a can of spray paint I'd probably never use again! Light blue is not a great color for a small model rocket.
      I've been to your blog many times, I'll go back to read up on your BBZ build.

      Delete