Saturday, August 25, 2018

NARAM Egg Lofter Build, Part 9, Smaller Shroud & Pop Lug

I realized there would be a problem with the long shroud. How can I make vent holes for the altimeter with the shroud in the way?
While I would have liked the long shroud for less drag, I needed more body tube exposed below the shroud for the vent holes.

I went back to PayloadBay.com and printed up another.
TIP: Note the glue tab is narrower at the bottom and the corner angles are steeper at the bottom (see arrows) This helps with a flatter fit at the tube joint.



I formed a clean, narrow glue line for the bottom of the shroud at tube joint. I takes very little glue to hold paper to paper joints.

No centering ring is needed for inside support. The open top of the shroud is supported by the fit against the egg capsule.


I had some Apogee Fly-Away guides for 13mm and 18mm body tubes. These weren't high enough to clear the egg capsule. Apogee sells a guide for use with the egg capsule, I just didn't see it.

I'm glad I saved all my old instruction sheets! Here's the old CMR pop-lug with standoff for egg lofting. This might be a second version of the pop-lug with the smaller lower wire hook.
There is also small segments of body tube that better hold the wire on the standoff.





The fit of the pop lug is very good with clearance for the launch rod.

4 comments:

  1. Is the shroud glued to the base of the egg capsule or is the lower glue joint on the body tube all that’s needed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      All I did was glue the small low end of the shroud to the body tube. The upper (wide) end is held in place around the egg capsule. No glue on the upper open edge. The upper support feels very strong.

      Delete
  2. it probably goes without saying that there may be a wee problem if you glued the shroud to the egg capsule as well as to the body tube...

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the Apogee website, the only fly-away guides for use with egg capsule I could find were for BT-50 size body tube.

    ReplyDelete