Friday, August 10, 2018

NARAM 60 Thursday, August 9, 1/2A Parachute Duration and C SuperRoc Altitude




This picture probably should have been posted earlier.
Here's the entrance to the Hudson Ranch SCORE field off highway 78. That's a great launch field landmark.

I was checking in my 1/2A Parachute duration model. Somebody asked: "Is this yours?" My lost Helicopter Duration model was returned! I gave up looking for it yesterday after a half hour search. This is one reason why your NAR number is on every entered model, including Scale.


Here's a boost glider legend, Larry Renger. Larry designed the Sky Slash in the 1960s. The Estes Falcon was based on that design. His other models included the Citation Bomarc pop-pod glider and the Sky Dart.

Larry said all he does is boost gliders. I thought this glider prepping picture was appropriate.

My first Parachute Duration flight got 2 1/2 minutes duration.

On the left is the way the current winning FAI style P/D models look. That model is built by Daniel Winings. Large upper body with 36" parachutes. My model (on the right) is BT-20 based, boat tail and 18" Mylar parachute.
You can easily find my crepe paper wadding on the field.

On the right is my P/D parachute second flight. I thought the Mylar chute might be melted, but it just didn't open all the way up - it was a "Hillbilly Hat".
I returned the model anyway to the return desk and noticed the engine ejected, a disqualification.

I didn't enter the C SuperRoc competition. I know very little about that event.
Much of the day was watching the Parachute Duration models hang in the air. The winning entry got over 33 minutes on a 1/2A engine!

1 comment:

  1. 33 minutes!!!

    It seems like all the duration events are dependent on finding thermals.

    ReplyDelete