Friday, February 22, 2019

Mistake in Estes #1969 Saturn V Inter Stage Wrap? Part 2

Kylie Gamble posted on Facebook:


"Update, on the issue of the inter stage wrap being molded incorrectly. Estes told me to cut the bottom line of the wrap and rotate the cut bottom so the tunnels line up. The best John Boren Estes R and D man could tell me. Still not quite correct but will have to do."

Some (nameless) builders went overboard with their responses - 
"Why can't F-ING Estes rockets company do it, and do it right the first time."

My thoughts in italic:
Wow - you should count your lucky stars there is even a new Saturn V kit. 
It's an easy fix, easier than cutting out the vacu-form wraps themselves. On a revised, complex production like this you might expect adjustments. Every rocket kit I've built from easy to complex has requirecutting, sanding and fitting of the parts. 
Hold that "F-ing Estes" comment until you've produced and sold a few thousand scale kits. 

"Given the historical importance of this rocket, plus it being marketed for the 50th anniversary, I'm ashamed Estes didn't double check everything like this. Yeah it's no big deal in terms of flying but when it's marketed as the limited edition 50th anniversary kit, it is." 


You're ashamed? Given the historical importance - changes were made. The Illage rockets are Apollo 11 correct now, four instead of eight. The vacu-form details are better. The decals have been corrected. The tower is easier to assemble. There's that new LEM Shroud. No more vacuform fins! 

Estes R&D has made the build much easier.

Evan Patrekis said it best: "I've dealt with far worse!!"
You and me both!

1 comment:

  1. I’ll probably leave mine as is - if I buy a second kit that one will most likely get the fix done. Not something I can generate much angst about since, for me, the biggest appeal of any model rocket is flying the thing. Some details that can’t be seen from ten feet away have zero impact on how it flies.

    Good to know that a 90% solution is fairly simple though.

    ReplyDelete