Saturday, May 25, 2019

The Art of Scroll -Video Observation

When I was on the road in the early 1980s, my rocket range box became my leather working tool box. It gave me something to do when I was stuck in crappy hotel rooms.
I had always been fascinated by leather and metal work and started doing leather carving.






I recently saw this video on Facebook.

Both leather work and metal engraving use the same floral "scroll" look.
To see the video: CLICK HERE
This is as good as it gets.




Watch for two things on the video -
1. All the curved lines (even when set close side-by-side) radiate from a center base point. The interior curved lines all flow - no bends.
2. The metal piece being engraved rotates under the graver tool. The cutter (graver) stays still.

TIP: This is the mistake some rocket builders make when cutting the curve on card stock shrouds. While cutting, the scissors stay still while the shroud card stock is turned.

1 comment:

  1. Incredible craftsmanship and great tip about the scissors. Thanks, Chris.

    ReplyDelete