Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Builds In Progress!

Sometimes it feels a little overwhelming! 
I'm not complaining . . . 
I used to build two of the same kit at the same time. One for me, a second build to sell on Ebay. The build was then featured on the blog.
I now do quite a bit of building for vendors.

Finished builds sent out over this Summer:
3 Estes Super Mars Snoopers (Just finished on the blog)
2 Estes Vesta Intruders (Vesta Intruder Build coming very soon on the blog)

Finished builds sent out in September:
3 Estes Alphas, 2 Estes Wizards, 2 Estes Magicians
1 Aerotech Initiator Starter Set (Finished Initiator, assembled Launcher & Controller)
2 Estes Green Eggs (Will be a short blog feature)
4 Odd'l Rockets kit orders

In progress are
1 Estes Mercury Little Joe I (already built on the blog)
1 Estes Mars Longship (already built on the blog)
3 Quest Quad Runners (Will be a full blog build)

Complete (just sent out)
1 Quest (Now branded Enerjet) Lil' Grunt (Will be a full blog build)
1 Quest (Now branded Enerjet) Mean Green (Will be a short blog feature)

In the build queue:
1 Estes Leo Space Plane (already built on the blog)
1 Estes Sasha (already built on the blog)
1 Estes Skylab Saturn V (Might be a full blog build, at least the new Skylab n/c mask)
1 Estes Alpha
1 Estes Space Corps Corvette Class (already built on the blog)

How do I keep track?
I only work on as many as I can comfortably build and finish. 
I have developed some "systems" over the years.
Five builds are now in glue. Two were just mailed. 
I might work on four or five builds at a time. All small parts are kept in small zip bags.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures are taken for the blog posts. 
Digital cameras have changed everything!
I also want to get the builds back to the vendors in a reasonable time frame.
I am single (that helps) and don't have to answer for the rocket builds on 
the kitchen table or kit boxes strewn around.
It goes without saying that I'm not able to do individual custom builds. 

Odd'l Rockets?
My Odd'l kit designs aren't simple 3F/NC designs. Some kits require some proprietary parts. Every month I get four vendor orders. Each day one kit (maybe a run of 15 each) is bagged up until all orders are fulfilled. 

When I was in my late teens my dream was to work for a model rocket company.
Be careful what you wish for! I do enjoy my job.
Forty years of Banjos, Musical Saws and Bagpipes, now full-time Model Rocketry.

3 comments:

  1. That’s quite the list! Looking forward to the builds - the Vesta Intruder most of all since I’m debating adding yet another kit to the pile. Thanks for doing this blog Chris, it’s been great following along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the builds you have done over the year. I have learned from your builds. The blog is a daily staple for me. Once again thanks for your time and experience you share with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to the Skylab build.

    ReplyDelete