Saturday, October 16, 2021

Estes Vesta Intruder #7312 Build, Part 5, Engine Vanes


There is a glue fillet around the centering ring/engine tube joint. 
For the vane corner to fit over the fillet I sanded the corner down just a little.

The slot for the vanes tab was a bit tight so they were trimmed down for a good friction fit.


The vanes are small - 
A controlled thin bead of glue was applied to the root edge. For easier positioning, I used long tweezers to set the vane tab in the centering ring slot.

I didn't set the vanes side by side, but spaced out the initial pieces. They are close together and if all were in place it would be difficult to apply some glue fillets.

Glue was applied with a toothpick and the excess picked up with a Q-tip. 


Here you can see how close the vanes are, not much room to apply fillets.
I still had to add the last fillets when all the vanes were in place - but it was easier to do some of them before when there was room.

Notice the outside corners of the vanes. These will extend a bit over the tube edge. The picture shows a dry fit.

1 comment:

  1. "I didn't set the vanes side by side, but spaced out the initial pieces."

    YES!!
    WISDOM!!

    I learned that the hard way and I hope this tip helps others.

    ReplyDelete