Sunday, May 8, 2011

Estes Saturn V Build Part 18 Wraps

The wraps with more details were saved for last. This way I could practice cutting on the less complex ones.

I found it easier to make some "wedge" cuts around the complex raised areas. Again, use a sharp knife.

TIP: Be ready, the higher the vacuformed area, the thinner the plastic will be at the base of the raised area. It's easy to slip off your cut and into a thin area with a sharp knife.



I found I could use the end of my metal straightedge to cut both sides of the inside corners.

Cut carefully at the intersection of the corners. The 90 degree angle cuts should meet. It's easy to tear the thin plastic here.



I cut the interstage wrapper closer to the raised S-II LOX tunnels.
The instructions say to leave 1/16" border all the way around. But, I didn't want a "stepped" wrap.

Using the side of the tunnel as a guide, a new razor blade was set at a slight angle, flat against the tunnel.
Slivers were cut off until I got the right edge I was looking for - still a flat fit and enough edge for gluing.



Here's what the interstage wrapper looked like after trimming.

All four tools shown were used to clean up the edges.



Time spent on build: 2:00 Cutting and Trimming Interstage Wrapper
Total time on build so far: 17:30

7 comments:

  1. Thanks Lonnie!
    I have a new respect for anyone who tackles this build. I don't remember the original Estes version being this tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you name me the first and last tool from left to right that you show in that photo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Admin,
    From left to right:
    A Great Planes aluminum sanding block - requires sandpaper with a sticky back from a roll. A great sanding block, but you have to use their paper. They only make the sticky back sandpaper up to a 220 grit.
    Then a Razor blade, X-Acto and a flat diamond file. You can get those small diamond files from Harbor Freight, very handy to have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, what adhesive did you use to attach the wraps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      I remember using spray adhesive and then thin CA if any edges popped up. The CA can melt the vacuform plastic, you've got to go easy with it.

      Delete
  5. I brushed on a thin layer of slow-cure epoxy

    ReplyDelete