Sunday, May 29, 2011

New Goblin Kit From Semroc!

I always look forward to a new release from Semroc.
This time it's my all time favorite - THE GOBLIN
Check out the specs HERE
I'll usually download the instructions and check their altitude predictions.
The picture at the right is from the Semroc online catalog.

I've got quite a history with this design.
The following copy was lifted from the EMRR/Rocket Reviews Family Picture Contest a few years back:

After getting back into the hobby, I discovered cloning. These four family Goblins were not built from commercial kits.

My first attempt was an all time favorite - The Goblin. It was built stock, around the BT-55 airframe. All parts were ordered through Semroc. The plans were from Jim Z’s site and the decals from Excelsior. It has flown many times on B6-4s and C6-5s. Back in the 1970s I lost my original Goblin on a D13, I haven’t gotten the nerve to fly the clone on a D12.

My BIG Goblin is a 1.7 upscale. It was the first big model I’d built since the Enerjet days. The body tube is the Semroc heavy duty 225 tubing. Through the wall basswood fins, and that big BD-25588 nose cone. The engine mount is made for 24mm engines. Recovery includes a baffle and a 24" rip-stop nylon parachute. I know (now) there are available kitted upscales of the Goblin, but this one was upscaled and built from parts.

My Baby Goblin is a “carded” model from the Rocketry Blog website: http://rocketry.wordpress.com/ultimate-paper-rocket-guide/paper-rocket-partial-builds/ All parts were printed on 110 lb. Cardstock. The nose cone is balsa and a small streamer is used for recovery. It has flown using Quest Micro-Maxx engines.

Just added is my new fleet favorite, The “Franken Goblin”! This model was built and flown as “The New Member of the Family” for the 2009 EMRR Challenge. The economy dictated which parts were available, anything and everything already in my spare parts box. From existing and retired models, I pulled and cut-away enough parts to piece together the “monster”! The mainframe is 8 ½" of BT-60. A Goony? Well, sort of - but just a little “scarier.” I’d bought decal paper but hadn’t used it yet. This model cried out for a revised “Goblin” treatment. Overall, I was happy with my first attempt at decals. The green and black paint decor suits the Frankenstein theme. A stable, fun and reliable flyer, B6-4 engines are a great fit.

TRIVIA: If you want your Goblin to be true to the Wayne Kellner original design, flip the "3" fin decals on their backs. Or, 90 degrees clockwise.

Another new kit is the PSC INFINITY. Check it out HERE
It's a two-stage design to celebrate the Pittsburgh Space Command's 25th anniversary.
A sharp looking bird with an unusual 2 stage cluster. The booster recovers with a streamer.
Read the story behind the design on the down loadable instructions. It's interesting how they tied in the club colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment