Monday, May 30, 2011

Estes Saturn V Build Part 50 RCS Nozzle Guide

I know, my build is a little out of sequence.
After you've built a dozen rockets, most builders veer away from the order of the instructions.

The R.C.S. nozzle marking guide is cut from the instruction sheet.
I wrapped it as directed and marked the tube at the arrow locations.
The first picture shows it lined up and marked per the instructions.



I did my usual check and rotated the guide 90 degrees up to the next mark on the right. It didn't line up! Good thing I didn't drill any holes yet.

I can assume these R.C.S. nozzles should be equally spaced 90 degrees around the tube. In order for the guide to be correct, the first arrow mark should be where the ends of the wrap meet and are taped. Disregard the arrow right to the left of the wrap ends and mark where the guide ends meet. The other three arrows should be correct.

NOTE: Go to the Centuri instructions HERE
Check page 47 for the Template Cutout Sheet. The RCS Nozzle Placement Guide is on the upper left side. All four of the nozzle locations are equally spaced around the guide. You could print this guide and use it instead or make your own. It will fit the service module tube.


I made my own marking guide by cutting a strip of paper to the correct height and folding it into quarters.







Using the guide I made, pencil marks were made for the drilling. Notice I made a "cross hair" to have a better center point.

Time spent on build: :30
Total time on build so far: 49:30

No comments:

Post a Comment