Monday, December 19, 2011

Top 10 for 2011

I had 285 launches in the past year, 90 flights more than in 2010.
For me, that's 1,066ns or 67% of a J engine.
Of the 24 builds completed in 2011, these are my top picks.
Click on the BOLD NAME to go to the finished pictures or blog post.
Counting down from Number 10 -

10. Downscale Carded PATRIOT
I did four downscales this past year, the Patriot, Astro 1, Pigletsus and Mini Bertha. Built around a BT-20, the Citation Patriot is the favorite. Click on the FREE PDF PLANS at the top of the blog for a link to make your own.

9. Semroc BABY ORION
The finished model seemed much smaller than I thought it would be. Still a great build and a chance to do some small detailing. Eventually sent to Carl at Semroc for a late birthday gift.

8. CWF MIX FOR BODY TUBE SEAMS
This wasn't a build, but I may have found a workable mix that stays in the body tube seams when sanding it to surface.

7. Centuri FINLESS
After many stable flights with the Hot Rod Rockets Bell Bottom (A smaller conical stability rocket) I was surprised that the Finless wasn't stable with anything larger than an "A" engine! Recreating the roll patterns with Blackboard Contact Paper worked great.
Why is an unstable rocket on this list? Because it just looks cool!

6. CD SPOOL
This was one of those rare surprises. The spin on recovery is very fast! A perfect small field flyer.

5. 260 SPACE BOOSTER
Another one to scratch off my bucket list. After all these years, clear plastic fins still pop off on landing.

4. PIGASUS!
After a frustrating first try, the new Pigasus is a favorite especially with the wives and girlfriends dragged to a launch. I was happy it was stable!

3. Odd'l Rockets CYCLONE
An amazing, no moving parts helicopter recovery rocket. When flown with a 1/2A engine, I'm still surprised at the long flight duration of the monocopter recovery. This one puts the fun back into sport rocketry. Many thanks to Jonathan Mills, Ph.D for a great design.
The Cyclone was #1 on last year's Top 10 list after just a few test flights. It's on this year's list now that it's in production as a successful Odd'l Rockets kit.

2. Semroc DEFENDER
A rewarding build, but I was nervous to try my first three engine cluster. It was worth the wait. Very FAST off the pad, it reminds me of an old B14 engine in a minimum diameter rocket.

1. Estes SATURN V
This was a long build and one I was proud of. Over 70 blog posts from start to finish. (Too many according to some blog readers!) I've heard the blog helped others with their Saturn V build. It remains a "shelf queen" for now.

Thanks to everybody who reads the blog!
If you are not a "follower" yet, why not sign up?
If the interest grows, the blog will continue.
Let me know if I'm on the right track!

1 comment: