Sunday, June 3, 2012

Space X Falcon Build Part 9 TIP: Gluing In the Baffle Plate

TIP: I learned a valuable trick on this build - How to install a single baffle plate deep in a body tube.
Normally, I'd glue a baffle plate onto a coupler and slide the plate/coupler assembly into the tube.

I wish I knew this technique when I tried to install a single centering ring in the upper portion of the QModeling XP Raptor! That ring flipped and spun while I tried to get the edges of the ring tight against the BT-55 tube. Very frustrating!

As shown below, a simple roll of copy paper will set the baffle plate straight in with full contact all the way around the inside of the body tube.



The instructions have you roll a paper cylinder about 1" in diameter.
I made mine about 1 1/2" wide. I thought it would give me more control when sliding the plate in place.







Here's the plate sitting of top of the rolled cylinder before sliding it into place.






The plate is started into the tube end and pressed up to the 4" mark drawn on the paper cylinder.

(I installed this baffle plate before the second attempt at the body wrap.)

This is where the Space X kit build ends.
It's very rare for me not to finish a model. But, after all the problems with the wraps I was dissapointed and threw in the towel.

7 comments:

  1. You??? Throw I the towel??? That IS something. I have two of these I bought from the initial run. Guess I'll HAVE to try one now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'll try and make copies of the wraps. That way I can fall back to the tried and true paper wrap method if the adhesive wraps don't work. Like a Dr Zooch model

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeff,
    Yeah, hard to admit, I was so ticked off I put the pieces back in the box and stored it in the rocket closet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Making copies is probably the way to go. I always make copies of shrouds and wraps for the Zooch kits. But, the body wrap is 18" tall! Larger than my scanner.
    It's be best to cut the wrap in half (or thirds) and apply in segments. It's easier to control that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry this kit didn't work out, but I really appreciate you taking one for the team in order to warn us about the shortcomings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lonnie,
    Yeah, I wish this had turned out better. The Space X kit was really well engineered except for the wraps. I have to wonder how many builders (especially younger builders) had troubles with the 18" long wraps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. About as many as had trouble with Quasar wraps :^)

    ReplyDelete