Monday, October 15, 2012

Centuri Satellite 62SL Build Part 6 Antenna Cutting

Note: The picture shown of the Satellite 62SL at www.oldrocketplans.com shows all the parts next to a ruler.
I used this drawing for measurment of the antenna dowels. In this picture the four dowels are 4" long.
But, the instruction drawings show the dowels to be longer. I asked on on YORF and Earl wrote back that the dowels in his unopened kit were 8" long! 

I cut my dowels at the 4" length before I noticed the difference in length.
The model should still be stable with the shorter dowels - I hope!


For two reasons, I chose 1/16" diameter carbon fiber rods for the antennas.
I couldn't find 1/16" diameter dowels and the carbon fiber rods wouldn't need any sealing, sanding or painting.

I tried cutting the rods with a razor blade, but no luck.
A razor saw and a mitre box were used.

Seven rods were cut. I'm building both the 3 and 4 antenna versions.


You'll have to sand down the cut ends, there is a light flare at the cuts.

The ends will have to be the same diameter as the rest of the rod so get rid of the flared end. Chrome Mylar or printed paper overlays will fit better if the dowels are smooth.




Here's the seven rods ready for gluing
But what glue?

No comments:

Post a Comment