Monday, October 22, 2012

Custom Solar Explorer Build Part 3 Engine Mount Kevlar

Here's the engine mount finished - up to now.

I was surprised to see the instructions telling you to slide the rings in place, up to the pencil lines. (Both rings are set 1/2" from each end.) THEN add glue fillets.
That's really the best way to glue centering rings.
This way you are taking no chance of them freezing in the wrong place.

While the kit has a "Tea Bag" style shock cord mount, I chose to replace it with Kevlar. (The mount was printed on the instructions on 20 lb. paper. In my opinion, a little weak for a shock cord mount.


Typical for me, I forgot to add the Kevlar.

Using my small rat tail diamond file, a hole was "drilled" through the upper ring, opposite the engine hook.
This diamond file makes the perfect sized hole, just right for the 135 lb. Kevlar I had on hand.

I didn't tie the Kevlar on, there's not much room between the interior walls of the BT-20 and BT-50. A knot might make a bulge through the outside of the BT-50.

I weaved the Kevlar under itself three or four times and cinched it down tight.
After some glue fillets, the line is holding strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment