Thursday, October 4, 2012

Launch Prep - Some Hurdles Part 2

I like the Quest A6-4 engines.
They are loud and a little sooty. Still, a fun engine for small fields.

That paper label is another story.
When the wrap was applied, some areas aren't adhered well. Creases and folds will prevent a smooth slide into a BT-20 or equivalent tube.

I'd be very careful trying to fit this engine and loose label in a thin BT-20 tube.
In this case, this 18mm engine wouldn't comfortably fit into a larger, thicker ST-7 tube!

The lower end of the engine was a bit wide. Using my sanding block with 220 grit, the label was sanded down and off.
This was enough to allow a easier slide into the Semroc Astron ST-7 engine mount tube.
Notice I didn't sand too deep or thin out the engine casing! I was just removing the label.
Some Quest casings are thin enough already!

Here's the engine in place.
An Estes igniter was used, held in place with a small ball of wadding - old school style.

Here's a moot point -
Notice the igniter wires bent back in a "U" shape.
TIP: One wire goes on either side of the paper tab.
This is another way to keep the clips apart and preventing shorts.

1 comment:

  1. "Here's a moot point -"

    Not really moot. I never knew about bending the wires like that until you showed me. You're been posting some great practical tips here. Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete