Tuesday, October 9, 2012

TIP - Night Launch Lights?

These LED "Finger Lights" are sold through the Publix supermarket during the Halloween season. Kids wear them for safety after dark and as part of their Halloween costume.

I actually bought these with the idea I could use these on stage.
Imagine a dark stage, a fast banjo roll and colored lights. (Yeah, I know, stupid idea. I'm always looking for the next big thing.)

It didn't occur to me to use these for a night launch!
It's pretty obvious, the lights have an elastic band to go over the fingers.
The elastic could be slipped right over a body tube. A little tape for insurance and you have a cheap light for night launches.

Cheap?
Four lights for $2.00!

This is the back of the package with the catalog number and other information.
I did a quick search and they are available through many online vendors!
Search under LED Finger Lights.


I tried the elastic around everything from a BT-20 to the BT-60 on my Red Max.
The fit is pretty tight around the BT-60 size. Be careful the back side of the plastic light casing doesn't scratch the finish or decals. Two layers of electrical tape on the back of the housing could help prevent scratches.

On a BT-20 you'll have to add some tape over the elastic band or it might slide down the body tube during a quick boost.

These little LEDs are bright!

No comments:

Post a Comment