Sunday, February 14, 2016

NEFAR Launch February 13, 2016

I only flew two rockets at yesterdays N.E.F.A.R. launch!
NEFAR runs a very smooth operation.
After LPR launches you watch the MPR and HPR launches. You recovery your rockets, grab another and get in line.
I'm not complaining, it's great to see so many new young people there. The eleven pads were very busy. The two rockets I flew were great performers.

The new Estes QUINSTAR turned a few heads. Many had questions about it.
The Estes C6-3 got it up with a accelerating spin to about 150'.
It turned over at apogee and spun slower on the way down.
After another C6 launch, I'll definitely try this one with a D engine.
I'm hoping that Jimmy Yawn got the flight on video. If he did it'll be posted on the nefar.net website in a few days.


The Mercury Engineering (BMS) 3" SCHOOL ROCKET was probably the best flight I've had in a long time.
The Estes E9-4 gave a slow, long 3 second boost.
Apogee was about 600'. The 18" Odd'l parachute brought it down safely near the trailer seen in the back of the animated GIF.

This soon to be released kit is a great demo model, a new favorite. Retail price will be about $15.00!
It's like a Big Daddy, only 10" taller, very similar to this one: CLICK HERE (no decals, though)






Lynne joined me yesterday for her first club launch.
She was impressed by how well the launch was run and the loud MPR flights.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, that 3" School Rocket looks like a fun, simple kit! I like those bigger ones that don't go too high on E9's (I lose so many rockets on E9's, but I like the way they burn). Did they send it to you as a demo? Keep us posted if you know when it'll be available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel,
      I drew up the instructions for the new 3" Diameter School Kit. I have a full build done for the blog, but I'm waiting for Bill to release the kit before the blog posts start.
      It's big, burly and a great model with the E9-4 engine. A perfect slow demo launch bird.
      I would think many will adapt the engine mount for 29mm engines. At $15, this will be a big seller for Mercury Engineering. It's very similar to this one: http://www.mercury-rockets.com/Invader_Model_Rocket.html

      Delete
  2. Mmmm, 29mm and and a chute release? That gets my mid power juices flowing. The Quinstar flew great Chris. Once I finish my Little Joe II, I'll have to consider starting mine, and of course it will be 24mm, like yours. It was very nice meeting Lynne. I hope us rocket nerds didn't scare her too much.

    ReplyDelete