Sunday, February 21, 2016

Tacky "Inn Of Tomorrow"

I visit a few other rocketry blogs each day.
On Wayne Hill's "The Rocketry Blog" he posted some pictures of space based hotels called: "Family Road Trips In The Space Age."
To see the post, CLICK HERE

On picture postcard caught my eye -


These two hotels were right on the border roads of Disneyland. Many hotels tried to capture the Disney spirit and failed.
In 1972 or 73 I planned a Disneyland trip with best friend Ron. I was in charge of picking the hotel. I found the tackiest one I could, Stovall's Inn Of Tomorrow.

This hotel had to of been constructed in the mid to late 1960s.
I remember Ron saying: "Boy, you sure can pick 'em!"
Along with the many topiary animals there was an employee who would dress up in a well-worn space suit and visit with guests at the pool. You could take the courtesy bus to the park, the front end had a fiberglass alien face.



The hotel lobby face doesn't look the same these days. But, that pool "globe" is still there along with a few distorted topiary animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment