Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Centuri X-24 Build, Part 10, Former Gluing and Engine Mount


A line of glue was placed around the top of the engine mount tube.
Press the engine tube and former into the shroud until the sides form the cone into a soft triangle shape.
Press in place for a friction fit then add glue fillets.
Don't use a lot of glue, it can soften the card stock shroud and make a ridge on the outside.



The former was just starting to push out against the shroud wall.
I rolled over with my Sharpie barrel, pushing it down while the glue was still malleable.

6 comments:

  1. A Vintage Centuri X-24 "Bug" Flying Model Rocket Kit is for sale on Ebay with 8 bids for $53.00 and 12.40 shipping. Oh, and there is 4 days 16hrs left to bid. Glad I'm doing mine with parts on hand and some printer ink. Besides, I can't keep those old rockets in their packaging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott,
      $65.40 is a LOT for a rocket that originally cost $1.00!
      If I don't get a real deal on an old kit, I won't bid. I would pay a bigger price for an original Vashon V2, though.

      Delete
  2. I built this twice now, and both times I got a ridge at the former, the glue just softens up the shroud too much. I will keep trying. Maybe if I pre-coat the contact area with a thin glue film and let it dry first, like the double glue method for fins? The rest of the build is very straight forward. I will try to use a thicker former maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glen,
      That's why I did some minor trimming on the former so the rounded corners were taken down. It's rare to see any X-24s at a club launch, the few I've seen in the past had a former bump on the outside. I would think the original kit had card stock a bit thicker than 110 lb.

      Delete
  3. What about adding a sleeve of 65lb paper where the cardboard will touch the paper, to toughen it? You might have to trim the cardboard a bit more or add a bit to the tube as it will push the cardboard back some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott,
      That's a tough call. It would thicken the area but any more weight could effect the glide. Who knows until it's tried!

      Delete