Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Mystery Parts Kit - Solved!



A while back, Estes posted these parts for the upcoming Nike Smoke kit. These aren't the right parts and many speculated what they were for.


I took a guess and came up with this - To me, not my favorite design.
The crescent shaped pieces on the centering ring sheet led me to believe there would be cut, tapered tubes.



Yesterday, Estes posted pictures of some "Coming Soon" kits.
MYSTERY SOLVED!

http://www.estesrockets.com/coming-soon/

My design guess was pretty close, After looking at my drawing I realized the upper tube had to be longer. One of the upper shrouds turned out to be a tail cone nozzle.
The three small strakes ended up on the middle transition and not in the squeeze transition area. The fins mount on the tapered body tubes, not between them.

5 comments:

  1. I could make a nice Firecat clone with that nose cone.
    :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lonnie,
      That'd be a BIG Firecat! The nose cone fits a BT-55, the lowest big tube is a BT-70.

      Delete
  2. Your guess was really quite good, in retrospect. Could be a fun game, guess the rocket design from the parts picture.

    The placement of the fins inside the tapered tubes is the key difference, which would have been very hard to guess. It's an interesting design touch. Overall, I find the Expedition to be a very strange design (not to my taste), but it is fairly unique and should be an interesting build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      I mentioned in the blog post that the crescent shaped end pieces led me to believe there would be cut tapered tubes. It's not my favorite design either. Who knows, down the road I might end up building one.

      Delete