Saturday, June 4, 2016

Knots?

An email from Thomas Rea:

Hi Thomas,
I use different knots for different purposes. I use these two most often.
The first picture shows a simple loop knot connection. 
I think it spreads out the tension especially when using wider elastic.






The Quest method (at left) is easy and also works. It's better for thinner elastic.


I want to try the "Nail" knot, shown on this website: CLICK HERE
That knot really spreads out the stretch tension and also cinches down when pulled tight.

I got the Duncan Uni-Knot from the same website. I use that for most screw eye / nose cone base ties of the shock cord.

Here's a link to all the new (old) knots posts on the blog:
Plenty here about other knots for other locations on the rocket. 

NOTE: When using these knots you have to cut much longer shock cords to allow for the wraps of Kevlar and elastic. The elastic supplied in kits is never long enough and will end up even shorter when using wrapped, cinch-down knots.

4 comments:

  1. I always lay the kevlar and elastic side-by-side, then tie and overhand "loop" with both strings at the same time about an inch from the ends. Trim the excess.

    Wish I could describe it better.

    Mike Ruf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike,
      You described it fine. That's the Quest style tie shown above.

      Delete
  2. I should have specified it was for a high E, F, and G series motor for the Estes Argent. I'm going with the Albright. It seems best for joining small-to-large lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thomas,
      The responses I gave were for smaller diameter body tubes and LPR.
      The Albright knot looks fine. It's another wrap and cinch knot that won't come undone, sort of like the Duncan Uni-Knot I use for nose cone screw eye attachments. You should be good with that one.

      Delete