Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Estes Interceptor Build #1250, Part 16, Painting The Wing Pod




Plastic grocery bags were used to cover up the rest of the body.

Near the pods you can see the brown masking tape that goes on after the Scotch tape and holds the bags on the body.

Here's one of the pods after the tape was pulled. A little back push with a knife tip evened out the paint line where the Scotch tape overlapped.
While the instructions called for fluorescent orange, this Ace Hardware "Rocket Red" fluorescent came out a red/orange. Compare the can lid to the color on the pod. I can live with this color.
Fluorescent paints do require a white undercoat. This final color would have been darker if a colored undercoat were used. Then again, that might have made it too dark.

9 comments:

  1. Somehow it's always been in my head that the pods were supposed to be orange, but it's been a long time since I've laid eyes on mine so maybe I'm remembering wrong. In any case, that fluorescent paint looks terrific. I gather it played nicely with the Rusto 2X white...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      I checked the instructions again. You are right, they do say to paint it fluorescent orange. (I probably did the blog draft late at night!) I've corrected the post.
      Yeah, that Rocket Red is definitely more orange. It did work well over the Rusto 2X gloss white.

      Delete
    2. Always nice to learn that parts of my brain still function correctly. :)

      Delete
  2. That is a really nice orange color, and so orange it makes me wonder if the spray can was mislabeled. Rocket Red? C'mon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Overeasy,
      Fluorescent Reds and Oranges have always been hard to find. I remember trying to find a red-orange color for my Nike Smoke fins. This can seemed to be a good compromise. But, it's definitely not the same color as the plastic can cap.
      The instructions said fluorescent orange so I can accept this.

      Delete
  3. You didn't paint the pods separately? Why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul,
      Take a look at the face card picture. It's in Part 2 from June 15. There's a pretty good gap at the front end of the pod. I wanted a smoother joint between the wing and the pods.
      I did paint the tail cone and antennas off the model.

      Delete
  4. Orange you glad that color worked out?
    (ducks for cover to avoid objects being thrown in response to horrendously bad pun)

    ReplyDelete