Wednesday, December 13, 2017

True Modeler's Rocket Kits NASA Scout Build, Part 1, Parts


I don't know a lot about True Modeler's Rocket Kits, I picked this kit up on Ebay.
The website is still online, the last update was in 2009. I've emailed them to find out if the kits are still being produced but haven't received a response.

This kit is a scale model of the NASA Scout, # TMRK9801.
The model is 30.25" tall and flys with A8-3, B6-4 and C6-5 engines.
The lowest tube is a BT-60, the upper sections are BT-50 and a BT-5.

Some parts of interest:
The conical BT-5 sized nose cone.
Two thick 5/50 centering rings, made up from 5/20 rings glued into 20/50 rings.
1/8' wide elastic shock cord, a little short at 16" long.
A small tri-fold shock cord mount printed on thin paper.
Three pre-cut fins, cut from 3/32" thick basswood
20/50 centering rings die-cut from thin cards stock.

3 comments:

  1. Out of curiosity, I looked up the plans for the Estes LTV Scout. It also has a BT-60 lower tube, so I think this could be kit-bashed into a close approximation with these parts:
    BT-60 to 55 transition: http://www.erockets.biz/semroc-tube-adapter-bt-55-to-bt-60/
    LTV Scout nose cone: http://www.erockets.biz/semroc-balsa-nose-cone-bt-55-7-4-capsule/
    And the appropriate measured to scale length of BT-55 tube. It would not have the detail of the molded plastic parts of the original though.
    I thought you mentioned in a post a (long) while back that the LTV Scout was a favorite, so maybe you can get a second TMR kit from Ebay. Laters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edit: Now that I think of it, you don't even need to buy a second Scout kit: just interchange the upper portions at the separation point, the transitions. Two rockets in one! Don't know if the markings are different though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this kit! One of my frequent flyers. I look forward to your take on the build! I like the way TMRK add a few extra shroud templates, just in case you mess one up! Somewhere in the build pile, I have the TMRK 4- D Cluster 'Fat Albert'which I will get around to one day...

    ReplyDelete