Monday, December 11, 2017

Estes Star Speeder #1366 Build, Part 16, Flat Clear and Silver Trim TIPS

I mentioned earlier that the online decal scan wasn't clean. I re-drew the decals on Corel Draw.
If you are a Patreon supporter, you can email me at: oddlrockets@bellsouth.net and request the decal PDF. Ask for the Star Speeder decal PDF.

These are not an exact copy of the kit decals, but very close. There is a few minor changes here and there. I don't want any small clone kit vendors to use this PDF and profit these decals. Those small changes I put in let me know if something has been copied or sold without permission.

The Estes instructions say the model should be spray painted with flat white then the decals are applied over that. Water slide decals don't stick well to flat paint.
TIP: Spray rockets with gloss paint, apply decals, then follow with a flat clear coat.
TIP: Flat (matte) finishes hide many imperfections that show up on a gloss finish. If you ever have a gloss spray job you aren't happy with, try a dull over coat to hide bumps and dips in the paint.
TIP: I don't have many cans of flat paint, most all I have is gloss. If I want a dull finish I have one can of flat clear to dull any gloss finish.


Do the silver brush trim paint after the flat clear coats have dried. A flat clear coat would dull the silver making it a dull grey.

Above is the before, the picture below shows the silver trim paint was applied.




Here's that weird toothpick gun, it also gets brushed on silver paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment