Wednesday, December 13, 2017

The Worst Kit?

I was asked recently what was the worst kit I ever built?
That's a hard call, I don't want to offend any vendor. Here's one from a company long out of business.

The Die Fledermaus was a boost glider from the Union Stadt Zepplin Works.
The picture on the right is from a review by Matt Gillard on Rocket Reviews: CLICK HERE

In my old rocket binders I found a 1977 letter from Robert Haley, the president of U.S.Z.W.
Robert was interested in me doing a review of his kit. My review would not have been favorable.




Matt Gillard had the same results I did. The build was difficult with vague instructions.
The written instructions were on one side of an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet. Enlarge the picture on the left.
The promo page called it a rocket plane. Rocket gliders (by NAR definition) don't eject the engine.




The full size assembly drawing was on the other side.
You have to warp balsa around the fuselage and form the nose from a block of balsa.

The A3-2t engine would eject and was supposed to glide at a 6 to 1 glide ratio.
Mine got 20 feet up and power pranged into the ground!

No comments:

Post a Comment