Wednesday, December 27, 2017

THE BIG FIX! B32-M Spike, Part 2




Some CWF was brushed over the fill piece.
Sandpaper was wrapped over the fin so I wouldn't sand into the original leading edge.


Here's the patch after sanding.
The decals were peeled up without any problem. Home print water slide decals didn't stick very well to the aluminum paint.

The upper body was masked off at the halfway point between the two fins.

I shot the repair and surrounding area with Duplicolor Filler/Primer. Two more coats were shot and sanded to surface.



After the tape was lifted the mask line was clean and sharp.
There is still a dent in the body tube and some minor scratches. I was more concerned with the fin repair.


Instead of printing up more fin decals, I cut some strips of black and red trim Monokote. They ended up sticking better to the aluminum paint and were much more opaque.




The red bands on the payload section were replaced with trim Monokote. On the left is the translucent decal before, on the right is the new red trim.

Ready for the next NEFAR launch with a D12-5! 

3 comments:

  1. Looks good Chris I, too, hope to have a repair done for NEFAR. I just need to add rail buttons and fin fillets to my rebuilt Patriot, then ground test at the ROCK launch, and it will be ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is one of the things for which I really appreciate this blog.

    We have a guy at our club whose repairs look better than most people's original builds. I have no idea how to repair dings and scratches, so seeing the process like this is really eye-opening for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daniel,
      This wasn't a complete repair, there is still a dent in the tube and some scratches I didn't bother to fill. I wanted it good enough to fly again.
      Some might try to fill the chunk of balsa that was missing. I find it easier to cut out a square and fill it with a replacement square of balsa.

      Delete