Thursday, December 21, 2017

New Estes Patriot Comparisons


Mentioned in yesterdays post, Estes is bringing back the Citation Patriot.

Looking at the Coming Soon page on the Estes website, I thought something looked different.
The new kit is on the left, the original on the right.

Check the height of the gold eagle decal. There seems to be more white area below it and the top of the red and blue wrap.  The eagle decal doesn't look as tall as the original. The nose cone also looks longer. This might be a pre-production prototype build or a CG rendering.

A moot point and not a deal breaker. I'll probably buy and build a few. For me, it needs a 24mm engine mount.

6 comments:

  1. Looks like the fin shape is a little different too - though it could be the viewing angle. I'm with you Chris on the 24mm mount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      I think the fins are probably the same, that could just be the angle of the phtograph. To me, the gold eagle wrap decal looks smaller.

      Delete
  2. I built this as a very young kid. I didn't have any paint and I was so anxious to put the decals on, I put them on the bare body tube and fin then painted around them with a brush, later. Not my best craftsmanship, even at the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Unknown,
      On a trip to California I found a few older builds in the attic at the Ranch where some stuff was in storage. What I once thought were good builds - weren't! I did have a few that were painted with a brush.

      Delete
  3. I hope you're right about it being a pre-production model. It would be a shame if the decals were really that off. Nevertheless, I am grateful that Estes is re-releasing the CP and will definitely buy one, but I will make the proper corrections if need be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lonnie,
      I think the older guys would notice the difference in the decal placement. I'm glad the kit is making a comeback - we'll wait and see how the decals end up.

      Delete