Friday, December 8, 2017

Estes Star Speeder #1366 Build, Part 14, White Paint Overall


I thought this would be an easy on to paint - Overall white.

Most areas came out fine - on the top of the stabilizer you can see some of the grain still showing. A light sanding with 400 grit will smooth it out for the follow up coats of paint.



There were visible Titebond M&TG fillets around the canopy. These were also sanded with 400 grit wrapped around a Q-tip.




Here's where I ran into trouble.
On the underside there was some wrinkling of the paint.
I had sprayed a white undercoat before I went to California. this paint had two weeks to dry. I sprayed again when I returned and it still wrinkled!

I didn't take a picture of the wrinkles, this shows the area after the rough area was sanded down. I'll let it dry a few days before spraying again.

1 comment:

  1. Same thing sometimes happens to me. Seems to happen most with Rustoleum white and yellow paint. In one case I applied a second coat two months after the first coat, so I know it's not a drying issue. Also, sprayed a light, not heavy coat. Maybe something to do with the carrier (solvent)? Very frustrating not knowing what causes this. Switched to Valspar for white and yellow paint. It smells like candy (but don't breathe in the fumes on purpose). Did the wrinkling look like alligator skin? Laters, gators.

    ReplyDelete