Tuesday, December 12, 2017

New Duplicolor Primer/Filler?

Paul K wrote on YORF:
I've been using both Dupli-Color Filler/Primer and 3M Bondo Filler/Primer for a number of years, both are fast drying, very sandable primers, that can take just about any paint, especially the lacquers I like to use when possible. The 3M Bondo dried a little faster, the Dupli-Color filled a little better, so I'd use them based on how much fill I needed.

Well, the last can of Dupli-Color I bought had a different label, but is still called "Filler & Sandable Primer".

I used it on a large plastic nose cone, and immediately noticed it was a bit darker gray. No big deal, I thought, so put on a few light coats like I usually do. When I went to sand it with 320, it clogged up the sandpaper very fast, more like some enamel primers I've used. The stuff is awful! 

PaulK followed with:
The Dupli-Color 2-In-1 (Bad stuff) is the new one with 8 ingredients
The Dupli-Color Filler Primer (Good Stuff) is the old one with 14 ingredients.


My response:
I bought two cans of what I thought was a "new" label filler/primer at Advance Auto. I couldn't find the grey label FILLER that I've bought before.
I got home, checked the product number on the old empty can of Duplicolor Filler/Primer
and knew it was a different formulation.

I went back to the store with the two, unused cans of the '2 In 1" label. I did find new re-stocked cans of the original grey label marked "FILLER" and exchanged them.

Look for the grey label that says "PRIMER FILLER". Check the back of the can for the number FP101 above the UPC symbols.

Great - More labels and more formulations to confuse everybody.

1 comment:

  1. Let's just hope they don't throw us a curve and discontinue the old good stuff. I use it, too.

    ReplyDelete