Thursday, December 14, 2017

True Modeler's Rocket Kits NASA Scout Build, Part 2, More Parts


More parts of interest:
You are supplied with two sheets of shrouds. EVERY KIT SHOULD SUPPLY YOU WITH AN EXTRA SHROUD. You can make two of each, two nozzles and two 5/50 transitions.
Two lead fishing weights, two different sizes.
Shroud lines, pre-cut.
A 16" black nylon parachute with metal grommets
A peel and stick roll pattern



The fins are pre-cut from basswood.
Notice the root edge is marked with pencil.





Here's a closeup of the 5/50 centering rings. You can see how one is glued inside the other.

On the right is the same ring after being sanded flat.

2 comments:

  1. If you're interested, there's an informative page about the history of the NASA Scout program here:
    https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/exhibit/nasa-s-unsung-hero-the-scout-launch-vehicle-program/twISgejPzIk_KQ
    Lots of fascinating archival photos. It calls the Scout program the unsung hero of the American space program.
    Back to model building, when I was cutting the fins of an LTV Scout clone a while back, I thought I had made a huge mistake: they seemed way too small for this size rocket. But they were the right scale size. Something about fin size relative to rocket length, like the small fins on the Mean Machine, Equinox, 76er, CFX six footer, etc. All those "Needle Richard" rockets fly stable.(Inside joke, Chris don't ban me if you get it). Don't know the science, way over my head. I just build them and fly them with a big smile on my face.
    By the way, will you be replacing that stick on decal with a scanned water slide? Know how you hate them stickers. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi BAR,
    Thanks for the link. I wish I would have saw the back end shot of the fin shape before I left them square on the model.
    I've noticed the small fins on tall rockets before. To some extent, they can get away with it because the long length of the body adds some weight to the front end of the rocket.
    I'll probably use the stick-on decal. It's just a single decal so I can't justify drawing and printing it. I can cut the upper and lower edges right at the black print so the raised edges won't be noticeable.

    ReplyDelete