Saturday, December 23, 2017

True Modeler's Rocket Kits NASA Scout Build, Part 13, Roll Pattern Wrap



The roll pattern is a peel and stick. With the black band at the top and bottom you won't see the edge on the model.

I wanted to play it safe when positioning the wrap, you never know if there will be any play after placement. It could stick and not allow you to lift it to make adjustments.

TIP: Wrap a thin strip of card stock around the tube to line up the bottom edge of the wrap.




Another surprise - the wrap ends didn't meet up!
I'll just hide the gap beneath the launch lug.



Here's how it looks in place.
The wrap was sticky and grabbed strong! The top and bottom lines are close but I didn't want to risk lifting the wrap and pulling up paint.

4 comments:

  1. Chris,

    I don’t know if you’ve tried this before on self-stick decals, but you can take some soapy water and apply it to the area to give you some time to maneuver the decal around. Once you have it in place, you can blot the water up with a towel and then use a credit card or something similar as a squeegee to remove the remaining water from under the decal. Since the body tube has been primed and painted, you shouldn’t have any issues with it absorbing the water/soap mixture. This technique usually dries completely after 24 hours. Hope this helps.

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel,
      I do know about using soapy water to put on stickers, and I've used that method in the past. But, this is an older, OOP kit maybe 15 years old.
      I've had the adhesion almost wash off when using soapy water before. I just didn't want to take the chance on a very old sticker.

      Delete
  2. Maybe an ultrafine black Sharpie to close the gap? I was in Home Depot the other day and found something interesting: Sharpies filled with oil based paint! The tips are blunt though, but good for area touchups or small painting jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BAR, I've used ultra fine Sharpies before - I just bought four to use on a Saturn V build I'm doing for a client. To be honest, this build was disappointing and I'm not going to put any more effort into it.

      Delete