Sunday, December 10, 2017

Estes Star Speeder #1366 Build, Part 15, Decals

I drew up the decals, I wasn't happy with the scan available online. They were printed on my ink jet printer and got three coats of clear acrylic.
The Estes instructions say to paint the model an overall flat white. Water slide decals don't stick well to flat paint.
After I finally got a decent coat of gloss white I waited another day before starting on the decals.

On the right are the canopy decals. Three separate black window decals go on the card stock. Center around the upper folds.


The red line decals go over the rounded leading edges of the horizontal stab and wings. The instructions don't say to round the leading edges of the fins. I did round them after I realized a decal would wrap over the edge. The decals may not have stayed stuck when folded over a square edge.



Yep - there was actually an appropriate decal that went over the launch lug.

Long thin decals go over the outside of the rear wing lugs.

The front dowels and toothpick underneath will be painted silver after a flat clear coat is applied. A dull coat could dull a silver paint.

There was one decal left with no indication of its location. I figured the offset squares would fit well underneath the offset launch lug. There wasn't much other detail under the model.

Sometimes water slide decals aren't opaque over a white undercoat. I was concerned the red decals might end up pink. They ended up a dark enough red.

2 comments:

  1. Holy Cats, Chris! Your Cleanliness about the Launch Lug on this model is remarkable. I would've just sludged that sucker up with TBMTG and watched my model nose dive at the end of the launch rod. You, Sir, however, are always one for restraint, and, High-Flyin' Models. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Overeasy,
      Launch lug fillets aren't always needed, especially on a high drag model like this. There was just too many tight areas around the lug to fillet and try to fillet clean. In the end its a neater look.

      Delete