Sunday, August 18, 2019

Goblin Decal Placement?


Moot rocket nerd point of the month - 

I've brought this up before when I was assembling a Goblin kit a few years ago.
Joe Hess posted a picture of a recent Goblin face card on the Estes Model Rocket Facebook page.
I noticed the decals and how they were placed. Notice how the "Goblin" name is visually tight against the outside edge of the fin. The "G" side is angled down below the "N", the name in line with the trailing fin edge.



Here's the instruction drawing from the Jim Z page. The Goblin name is set perpendicular to the body tube. There is more room now using the shape of the fins.
Look at the "3" decal. It's flipped 90 degrees on it's back! The "3" decals were purposely set this way by designer Wayne Kellner adding to the crazy motif.

Here's a TIP to get the Goblin decal in the original position -
The decal is set on the fin face, still wet and can slide.
Set a square corner down the root edge, here I'm using a CD case. Check the baseline of the decal. It should read "flat" when the model is on the launcher. (Or . . . if the finger tab wasn't there, the model might stand up straight on the fin tips!) 

3 comments:

  1. Dangnabit! I already have two Goblins in the fleet - now I’ll have to build a 3rd so the decals are the way Wayne Keller intended! No worries - I’ll paint the new one yellow, keep my green one and move the old yellow one to the giveaway pile ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Openroad,
      Don't lose any sleep over this post. I'm just a rocket nerd blowing off steam.

      Delete
    2. Lol - no worries mate! Before they booted me out of a local park I’d regularly rotate older rockets through my give away collection - whenever a youngster would stop to watch or shag rockets for me I’d move an older rocket on to a new owner. The Goblin is one of my favorites so having one decaled the way WK designed it would be great.

      Delete